[Geany] Octave and comment character.

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Mon Aug 16 11:59:59 UTC 2010

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 11:21:21 +0200
Laurent Hoeltgen <hoeltgman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a question concerning the Octave/Matlab syntax highlighting. The
> syntax of Octave and Matlab is mostly the same. However, Octave allows
> the symbol # to mark comments, but it isn't highlighted in Geany. I
> thought that copying the file 'filetypes.matlab' to
> ~/.config/geany/filedefs and changing the lines
>
> comment_open=%
> comment_close=

> comment_open=#
> comment_close=
>
> would do the trick.  But for some reason it doesn't. It still uses % as
> a comment symbol and ignores #.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

That setting only controls what Geany uses to 'comment out' lines. The
highlighting comment char is hardcoded, however I've just seen that the
source file has two lexers - Matlab and Octave. We only use the Matlab
one.

We could either add Octave as a separate filetype or just make the
Matlab filetype use Octave highlighting (the first is safer but a bit
messy if the two syntaxes are virtually the same). What do you (and
other users) think?

Regards,
Nick