[Geany] Very slow file saving over SSH

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu Aug 5 12:01:32 UTC 2010

On 5 August 2010 20:51, Jake Subs <subs at growdigital.net> wrote:
> I'm using Geany 0.18 on Ubuntu 10.04, and accessing files via the
> built-in SSH browser in GNOME.
>
> Problem is, saving files is *really slow*. Like, about 5 seconds. And
> they're weany files too (bit of HTML & CSS).
>
> I've set the `Disk Check Timeout` to 0 but with no perceivable
> benefit. It's funny, because this behaviour only seems to apply to
> Linux servers (I have an account with Dreamhost) and not with a couple
> of Windows servers that I've had access to (running IIS I do believe).
>
> It's even funnier because gedit is super-speedy in saving the same files.
>
> Any ideas?

Hi Jake,

I think its likely related to the fact that Geany only requires an old
version of Glib file handling (deliberately).  But the GIO file
handling that fixes these problems is only available in a much more
recent version, and of course is what gedit uses
.
Clearly Glib is not going to be fixed and there is some consideration
being given to making the GIO file handling available in Geany if the
system it runs on supports it, but someone has to have the time to do
it.