[Geany] select entire function in Symbols sidebar

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Wed Aug 4 19:59:29 UTC 2010

Le 04/08/2010 17:17, Liviu Andronic a écrit :
> Dear all
> I've been using the R parser that generates a list of functions in the
> current document and displays them in Symbols sidebar. Is it possible
> to configure Geany (via an action, c-menu item or similar) to select a
> given R function (listed in Symbols), preparing it for instant
> re-definition (using ctrl+r, here)? I am not sure how symbols/parsers
> work, so would this depend on the R parser or on the Geany interface?
>
> Thank you
> Liviu

Hi,

AFAIK the tag parser (which is the source of the symbols) don't store
the end position of a tag, no matter which language is used.

This said, it would be probably possible to do some hacks in order to
achieve this -- at least with languages that doesn't support
out-of-functions instructions -- even if I don't know R on my own.
Basically I think of finding the next symbol start position (quite
easy), which then gives the range of the symbol you want.
Then even some further hacking may be done to strip whitespaces and/or
comments at the end of the range which are likely to refer to the next
symbol; and I think this could be achieved in a quite accurate way.
It's hackish, yes. But perhaps -- if you know C -- you could try to
write a little plugin that does it.

Regards,
Colomban