[Geany] Customization questions

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sun Aug 1 12:37:45 UTC 2010

On 1 August 2010 22:14, Daniel Carrera <dcarrera at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Dominic,
>
> Thanks for the help...
>
> On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Dominic Hopf wrote:
>
>>> 1) How do I change the list of templates? The ones you see under
>>> "File > New (with Template)".
>> Yes, you have a configuration directory ~/.config/geany/templates/files
>> where you can, put, edit, move and remove files.
>
> Thanks!
>
>>> 2) Is it possible to remove the Build menu? I imagine that this would
>>> require a plugin.
>> It basically is possible, yes, but not that trivial job. It actually
>> would require editing the sources of Geany itself and recompiling it or
>> writing a plugin which does that.
>
> Ok. I know better than to start mucking about with the Geany source.
> You suggest that a plugin could do it, but I take it that it would be
> difficult, right?

I actually don't think it is possible to remove a standard menu from a
plugin at the moment.

>>> 3) Is it possible to make a plugin that runs a custom shell on a tab
>>> or a separate window or something like that?
>> If you have installed vte (package on your distro may also be called
>> libvte), Geany has support for vte integration. Check to install vte and
>> then go to the Terminal-Tab in Edit->Preferences.
>

> Ok, I've done that. I have configured a custom shell
> (/usr/bin/python). How do I run it now?

It will run next time you start Geany, i've got the >>> prompt now.

 I can't find an option for
> that. Btw, is VTE a Linux-only feature? I'm on Linux, but I'd like to
> know which features are cross-platforms and which are not.

VTE is a GTK widget so theoretically it should be able to be usable on
windows but you may have to compile it yourself.

>> Well, I'm at least writing Perl and Python sometimes and I find the
>> Build Menu useful, right because of the features to customize the
>> commands and call perl with switches for linting or anything else.
>
> How do you customize the Build menu to call Perl instead of a
> compiler? I can imagine changing the Build menu so that it can run the
> Perl debugger for example.
>
> Thanks for the help.

Depends on the version, 0.19 added a lot of functionality to the
configurability of the build menu, last entry in the menu "set build
commands"