[Geany] Customization questions

Dominic Hopf dmaphy at xxxxx
Sun Aug 1 11:19:49 UTC 2010

Am Sonntag, den 01.08.2010, 11:47 +0200 schrieb Daniel Carrera:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a new user. I have a few questions about how Geany might be
> customized:
Hi Daniel,
welcome to Geany! :)

> 1) How do I change the list of templates? The ones you see under
> "File > New (with Template)".
Yes, you have a configuration directory ~/.config/geany/templates/files
where you can, put, edit, move and remove files. Then Tools->Reload
Configuration and the template listing should have changed (if not,
restart Geany, but I really think it's not necessary)

> 2) Is it possible to remove the Build menu? I imagine that this would
> require a plugin.
It basically is possible, yes, but not that trivial job. It actually
would require editing the sources of Geany itself and recompiling it or
writing a plugin which does that.

> 3) Is it possible to make a plugin that runs a custom shell on a tab
> or a separate window or something like that?
If you have installed vte (package on your distro may also be called
libvte), Geany has support for vte integration. Check to install vte and
then go to the Terminal-Tab in Edit->Preferences.

> Basically want I have in mind is customizing Geany for Perl, Python
> or Ruby. So I don't want the Build menu, and I want a separate window
> with a Python, Ruby or Perl shell where the user can try commands.
>
> Is this feasible? Is it very difficult?

Well, I'm at least writing Perl and Python sometimes and I find the
Build Menu useful, right because of the features to customize the
commands and call perl with switches for linting or anything else. I
actually don't see the necessity to remove the Build Menu for those
languages. Geany is flexible enough for handling any language and it's
Geanys intention to be that flexible. With removing the build menu you
would steal a bit of the flexibility. :)

With the vte feature enabled, you're also able to start any shell if you
want. :)

Regards,
Dominic

--
Dominic Hopf <dmaphy at googlemail.com>

http://dominichopf.de/

Key Fingerprint:
A7DF C4FC 07AE 4DDC 5CA0 BD93 AAB0 6019 CA7D 868D