[Geany] RFC: removed Tabs and Spaces 'Hard tab width' pref

Joerg Desch jd.vvd at xxxxx
Thu Apr 29 05:21:12 UTC 2010

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 14:14:21 +0100
Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

Hi Nick.

> I've removed the 'Hard tab width' GUI pref for the 'Tabs and Spaces'
> indent type.

I'm running a "german" geany. Not sure if you mean the tab width setting
inside the editor settings (tab "indentation")?

> (This does not affect the other indent types). This is
> because IME it is always 8, and removing it makes the dialogs clearer.

If so, you are right.

There are many people out there using tabs with a width of 4 to get the C
indentation. This behaviour can still be setup with the remaining
settings.

> In case anyone has changed that option, the setting is still read
> from the configuration file(s).

Why that? If such a user install a new geany, he will get another
behaviour of the indentation code. So why not print a warning while
migrating an old configuration file and than remove it?

What I'm really missing are the emacs modelines. My colleague uses tabs
(with an width of 4) to indent his code. After adding the corresponding
modeline, emacs recognizes his style and all went fine. Now I'm using
Geany and I have some trouble with mixing his files with mine. So
modelines would definitely a good thing.

--
Email: Joerg Desch <jd DOT vvd AT web DOT de>