[Geany] Geany on OS X, extension "RANDR" and symlink error?

Juergen Potzkoten gurubuster at xxxxx
Mon Sep 28 19:07:58 UTC 2009

Hi,

is anybody on this list running Geany on OS X? I'm desperately trying to get
it to run and I think I'm quite close.. but somehow it seems that I'm
missing something..here's what I did so far:
- Dowloaded latest version via SVN,
- compile, make and install went smoothly, I have the Geany executable in
/usr/local/bin

-starting Geany in xterm (and also in an OS X Terminal) produces the
following error:

-----
 ./geany -v
Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display "/tmp/launch-NHDS34/:0".
symlink: No such file or directory
** INFO: Geany 0.19 (svn >= r4253), GTK+ 2.16.6, GLib 2.20.5
** INFO: No config file found, try to use global configuration.
** INFO: Could not load libvte.so, embedded terminal support disable

------
..Unfortunately this is all information I get so far...

So here are my questions:

- Is the Xlib: ... error the critical error?  If yes, how can I fix it?

  ...Google tells me that this error is not critical, but I get no Geany
Program Window at all, so I can't really believe that this behaviour should
be ignored...so far I found no solution for the RANDR error, I updated X11
core files, but the error keeps poping up...*sigh*

- which symlink is missing?

Any hint would be highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Oliver B.