[Geany] remembering folding status

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Sep 20 17:42:50 UTC 2009

On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 11:38:39 +1000, Lex wrote:

Hey,

>I didn't think saving the folding in the geany.conf was a good idea
>because of the potential size increase and the increase in the number
>of times its read and written all makes for more chances for things to
>go wrong in a critical file.  Instead maybe a geany.folding file in
>the same directory, then if its broken it can just be deleted.

Yes, I also think this should *not* go into geany.conf.
Rather these information should go into ~/.cache/geany/foldng_state or
something similar. Though I'm not sure whether it's better to store
these information into one file or whether to split them into many
small files (as it was also already suggested).
Having them all in one big file is probably the easiest way but as you
can't do much cleaning of old items (e.g. files which were opened once
and then never again), this file can get very big very quickly. So,
having the per-file fold information in separate files in
~/.cache/geany/fold-state/ or something, at least the user can easily
clean old or even all fold information.
OTOH, then there is the question about the filesystem and how good it
handles many small files. But probably that's not such a big issue
nowadays.