[Geany] Visible whitespace

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Sep 6 12:11:01 UTC 2009

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 08:50:50 +1000, Lex wrote:

>2009/8/20 Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>:

>>>I had a look at what was proposed above, it is probably the right way
>>>to do it.
>>>
>>>So I did it the wrong way ;-)
>>>
>>>To Neils eternal shame :-), the size of the dot is manifest constants
>>>in the code, the patch changes it to the symbol
>>>SCI_VISIBLE_WHITESPACE_SIZE with a default of one.
>>>
>>>To change it "make CXXFLAGS=-DSCI_VISIBLE_WHITESPACE_SIZE=2" or
>>>whatever size or configure it or however waf does these things.
>>>
>>>Patch is against scintilla in Geany.
>>
>> Nice!
>> I changed the value to 3 for testing and it gets pretty visible then
>> however I personally was also happy with the default but I see that
>> it might be too small/bright in some setups.
>>
>> About the code:
>> I'd like to see this code to be discussed with Neil, ideally in the
>> already existing feature request in the tracker. I think he would
>> accept it and so we don't need to patch our Scintilla copy again.
>> Ideally, the value could be changed with a message and not only by
>> changing constants in the source code,
>
>True, thats why I said I'd done it the wrong way.  But it only took
>half an hour, I don't have the time or knowledge to add a message to
>Scintilla.

Last week I spent a little time to write the necessary code around
your initial patch, sent it to the Scintilla mailing list and it got
committed. So, with the next Scintilla release, we can add a preference
for the size of the space character dots :).

I think we could wait for the next Scintilla release, 2.02, and then
update our copy in Geany.