[Geany] How to invoke the Markdown lexer?

Randy Kramer rhkramer at xxxxx
Wed Sep 2 17:22:18 UTC 2009

Lex,

Thanks for the reply! (including the explanations and suggestions.)

Unfortunately, by the time I read this I had already purged the Debian
installed copy of geany.  I did some experimenting afterwards, and
learned some things, but have more to learn. ;-)

No need to read or reply to the rest of this--it just sort of helps
remind me of what I did and didn't try so far.

I very rarely start an app from the KDE menu--I almost always do it from
a konsole or the "Run Command" popup.  (Ignoring those that are
automatically (re-)started when I do a rare reboot.)  Those were the
only two ways I started geany.

I was (and still am, I think) under the impression that those commands
are executed "as is"--I mean, the GUI didn't do anything strange to
them.  After the purge (in other words, too late), I did "which geany"
from the konsole and from the Run Command pop up, and both
showed /usr/local/bin/geany, which makes me think at least now they're
using the (or some) PATH.  Maybe KDE runs in sort of a separate shell
with it's own environment?

No, I guess not, as I ran echo $PATH from both konsole and the Run
Command popup and both show the path I mentioned earlier:

PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/games:/rhk/bin

I'm not sure what kde does with respect to starting an application from
the menu--even after I purged geany I found a menu entry for geany
under Development--the "command" listed there shows as "geany %f"--I
would have thought that would simply look for geany on the path.

So, I've learned something, but have more to learn--next time I see an
opportunity, I'll try some testing to see if I can pin down what was
happening.

regards,
Randy Kramer

On Wednesday 02 September 2009 08:20:22 am Lex Trotman wrote:
> 2009/9/2 Randy Kramer <rhkramer at gmail.com>:
> To check
---< good stuff snipped >---