[Geany] How to invoke the Markdown lexer?

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Sep 2 12:20:22 UTC 2009

2009/9/2 Randy Kramer <rhkramer at gmail.com>:
> On Tuesday 01 September 2009 10:38:15 pm Lex Trotman wrote:
>> its in menu->document->set filetype->miscellaneous
>> languages->markdown
>>
>> The extension according to the filetypes file is .mdml
>
> Lex,
>
> Thanks!  I hate to keep admitting things, but it looks like I had
> another ebkac (well, mostly anyway).
>
> I had first installed geany using aptitude (on Debian)--it got installed
> in /usr/bin/geany.  When I built geany from source, it got installed
> in /usr/local/bin/geany.
>
> (And no doubt, /usr/bin is before /usr/local/bin on my path--hmm, but I
> just checked and /usr/local/bin seems to come first--I guess I don't
> understand the Linux PATH--does it work in reverse order?  My PATH:
>
> PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/games:/rhk/bin
> )

The PATH is explicitly required to be searched forwards, if you find
one going backwards you can legitimately claim a bug :-).  To check
which command is going to be run by a shell use "which geany".  How
things are run from GUI shortcuts are specific to the GUI and usually
have an absolute filename and so don't use PATH.  Could this be the
problem, a geany built from scratch doesn't know about your GUI and so
won't update its filename.  So the GUI runs the old version.

Unless you have an enlightened distribution that puts geany where it
wants to go, and points the GUI there.  On Open Suse I installed it
once from the distribution and each time I compile and install a new
version to the system directories it works in the GUI because the new
executable is in the old place.

> Anyway, bottom line, the wrong executable was being run (which didn't
> have Markdown as a menu choice.
>
> Sorry for the noise, but I guess I am wondering if the README for geany
> shouldn't tell you where it is being installed.  (After 10 years of
> migration into Linux, there is still stuff that doesn't make sense to
> me.)

The manual does, and also mentions that binary distributions often
install in /usr not /usr/local but maybe /usr/local can be added to
README

You can of course set the location of a geany you compile with
./configure --prefix=/wherever/you/want

> So I wonder at the "proper" solution.

Depends on the cause.  Probably having two Geanys in the system
directories is confusing and you should remove one of them.  But as
you say do check the other is still whole afterwards just in case some
configuration was shared and is now gone.  Personally I run the
official release in the system directories and the "bleeding edge"
SVN version with a local prefix so they don't get confused and the
bleeding edge is installable without priveledges so that it can't
accidently damage the system directories.

I think I'll try an aptitude