[Geany] OT: How to get shorter lines in the Geany manual?

Randy Kramer rhkramer at xxxxx
Tue Sep 1 19:57:27 UTC 2009

I'm not done with my "busy day", but I'm back at my computer and I
needed a break.

On Tuesday 01 September 2009 06:31:27 am Lex Trotman wrote:
> 2009/9/1 Randy Kramer <rhkramer at gmail.com>:
> > On Monday 31 August 2009 10:11:28 am Lex Trotman wrote:
> >> :-) and how do you feel when each line has three sentences in it
> >> : as it
> >>
> >> streaches interminabley across your widescreen...
> >
> > Well, in my browser, except for very rare occurrences when there is
> > presumably something wrong with the HTML, that doesn't happen for
> > me in any of the normal browsers I use.  Does it happen for you?
> >  In a browser?  Which browser(s)?
>
> Firefox or whatever temperature feral animal its called in your
> distribution :-) and see much of GNU documentation for the effect I
> complain about.

I guess I need a specific example of the GNU documentation you're
talking about.  I tried the following pages "pseudo-randomly" and they
wrap fine for me:

   *
http://www.gnu.org/software/emms/manual/Introduction.html#Introduction
   * http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/acct/accounting_6.html
   *
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.4.1/gfortran/Introduction-to-Intrinsics.html#Introduction-to-Intrinsics

But, it probably doesn't matter--I tried the max-width suggestion (see
below) and that seems to work for me.

> Try editing your Geany.html and make the width element max-width and
> see if we get the perfect solution, I get a fixed maximum width 60em
> and you get variable wrapping for documents where that won't fit due
> to large text. (suggestion taken from W3C WCAG 2.0 1.4.8 Visual
> presentation, how to meet)

Interesting, thanks for pointing that out to me--at
http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/:

Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0
 W3C Recommendation 11 December 2008
1.4.8 Visual Presentation: For the visual presentation of blocks of
text, a mechanism is available to achieve the following: (Level AAA)
   1. Foreground and background colors can be selected by the user.
   2. Width is no more than 80 characters or glyphs (40 if CJK).
   3. Text is not justified (aligned to both the left and the right
margins).
   4. Line spacing (leading) is at least space-and-a-half within
paragraphs, and paragraph spacing is at least 1.5 times larger than the
line spacing.
   5. Text can be resized without assistive technology up to 200 percent
in a way that does not require the user to scroll horizontally to read
a line of text on a full-screen window.

It took me a little bit to realize that the suggestion is to change the
line:
		width: 60em;

to:
		max-width: 60em;

But that does seem to work for me, I wonder if it also works for Enrico
(i.e., meets his objective / way of working)?

> It works for me, If it works ok for other browsers you use we'll
> submit a patch to Geany

I'll respond to Enrico's last email on the subject with your suggestion
that he try max-width--if that works for the way he works, that might
make everybody happy.  (Well, OK, surely not everybody...)

Well, actually Enrico will probably see it here ;-)

Randy Kramer