[Geany] Geany not getting focus on kubuntu

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu Oct 1 23:45:09 UTC 2009

2009/10/2 Dominik Stadler <Dominik.Stadler at gmx.at>:
> Hi,
>
> I usually have a copy of Geany running all the time with some often used files opened and just open new files with the one instance whenever I want to edit them.
>
> Currently the instance of Geany that is already running does not get moved to the foreground on my KDE system when I try to open a new file for editing from some other application, e.g. file browser, commandline, browser, ...
>
> I.e. I already have Geany running, when I type "geany /tmp/test.txt", the new file is opened in the Geany window, but Geany remains in the background and is not brought to the foreground. I rather would like to have the behavior like Firefox, where I get the browser window moved to the foreground whenever a new URL is opened from the commandline or some other application.
>
> Is there a way to achieve this? Would it require code-changes? if yes, any hint where to go looking? Or should I go looking somewhere else (general issue of Gnome apps on KDE?) for a solution?

Well Geany calls the appropriate function to make the window visible
(gtk_window_present) but this is just a *request* to the window
manager.  If its not being honoured you need to look if there is a
setting in KDEs window manager that tells it to ignore the request.  I
don't use KDE so I can't suggest where to look.