[Geany] code folding for .txt files

Randy Kramer rhkramer at xxxxx
Thu Nov 12 12:29:07 UTC 2009

On Thursday 12 November 2009 06:16:53 am Hyoung-Ryul Kang wrote:
> I wonder if Geany had an option to make a folding point *according to
> the indentation*. This will enable .txt files to be folded in a very
> sensible way. I also think this would not be technically challenging
> too much, since Geany already detects indentation fairly well.

I'm not as familiar with Geany as with SciTE and Scintilla (which is the
edit thingie used by Geany)--I know that some of the lexers available
for Scintilla do fold based on indentation, and I think that Geany uses
(all?) those same lexers.

I share your desire to fold almost plain text files with the
extension .txt (I say almost plain text because the ones that I write
usually have indentation or other syntax clues that would let a lexer
fold them appropriately, and someday I'd expect to make that work for
me.  (Someday might be a while, as I have a lexer I want / need to
write first, and I've been procrastinating lately.)

Anyway, what I might do in your shoes is experiment with the other
lexers available in Geany (or SciTE)--identify a lexer, find out what
file types (extensions) it "recognizes", then rename your .txt file to
use that extension--load it into Geany (or SciTE) and see if the
folding meets your expectations.  (BTW, the C/C++ lexer--I'll dig out
the name in a minute--ahh, LexCpp.cxx) does, iirc, in addition to
folding based on C/C++ syntax, also fold based on indentation, so any
of the other lexers is worth trying.

If you find a lexer that meets your needs, ask another question on this
list, ask how to add the extension ".txt" to the list of extensions
that a particular lexer will "recognize".  I don't think there's any
real reason such a modification could not be made--I suspect it might
require a recompilation, and it might be something that you customize
for yourself as it may be that no one else is interested (I could be
wrong).

I intend that my .txt files will be parsed by my LexTWiki.cxx lexer
(which might be renamed before it is written to LexFoswiki.cxx or
LexAskRhk..cxx).

BTW, those names are for the lexers in SciTE / Scintilla, I'm not 100%
sure that they are not renamed or modified (slightly?) for use in
Geany.  Somewhere in the documentation there must be a list of the
lexers available for Geany and the extensions they recognize.

Hope this helps!
Randy Kramer