[Geany] Automated makefile

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Thu May 28 21:39:16 UTC 2009

On Thu, 28 May 2009 10:49:52 +0200, Nicolas wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I've been searching the web for some time (including these lists), and
>I'm sorry if I've missed it, but is there any feature (now in Geany,
>in a plugin, planned, or otherwise) that allows
>Geany to automatically make makefiles (this would be for projects)?
>This feature was in Dev-C++, my former favourite IDE, and was really
>handy because managing makefiles for large projects that
>have special requirements and quite some files can be cumbersome I
>imagine.
>
>Since Geany doesn't attempt to specifically target one programming
>language, I would estimate that this kind of functionality is not in
>the core package, has someone perhaps made a plugin out of this once?
>And if not, would it be possible to create it? (either myself when I
>get some time or someone else).

I don't think we need this in Geany's core but a Makefile generator
would be ok as a plugin. But as usual, it needs to be written, as Bo
mentioned he maybe creates something for cmake.
My suggestion is to have a look at existing Makefile generators or
other (easy) build systems which take the work from you. E.g. cmake or
waf or scons are relatively easy to get something done quickly, so you
are able to compile your code without spending hours of getting it
compiled. There are many more other build systems, Makefile generators
and alike. Just have a look.

>IDE! P.P.S: Also, would it be possible to create a plugin that
>enforeces "strong" projects? Because the current Geany version is
>extremely weak, it sounds like a session to me (as I believe it has

This is by design. Geany's project management is more than just session
saving, it affects also the build system (currently for running Make
commands in the project's base directory and an alternative Run
command, this will be improved in the future). It also allows you to
choose different indentation settings and a few things more.

>Geany turn into the next Eclipse (you'd have to put in some serious
>effort to be as slow as that, though), but not having basic project

Lol.