[Geany] Two feature requests

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Thu May 21 18:39:32 UTC 2009

On Wed, 20 May 2009 23:15:27 +0200, Dominic wrote:

>> Second one is bigger though: why geany doesn't have any kind of Trac?

Because Trac sucks :).
Sorry, this is my very personal opinion. I just can't stand it and
can't work with it, not sure why but I'm just unable to use it in any
productive way. Tried it several times, and failed every time.
Additionally, so far I didn't see any online Trac installation which
was fast in any way. Obviously, mainly this is a matter of the server
hardware where it is hosted. But again. so far I didn't see any Trac
installation on a server where it ran fast. No idea what requirements
it has.
Admittedly, the trackers at Sourceforge.net also doesn't respond that
fast and also require transferring lots of content.

I think if we ever change the bug tracking system, we should go for
Bugzilla. It's kinda complex and might be freaky at the first time, but
once you got to know it a bit, it's ok. But it has similar to Trac a
major drawback: it requires a registration before being able to post
anything. This is *not* required on Sourceforge.net and I think this
is a good thing as it lowers the initial burden for users who want to
report/request anything.

>> It would be much easier to post bugs or feature requests there,
>> instead of mailing list, and they would be much more visible.

the other guys already mentioned that our bug/feature request trackers
are hosted at Sourceforge.net.

>BTW: Just for those of the mailing-list readers who didn't know, there
>is also a project called geany-plugins on sourceforge:
>
>http://sourceforge.net/projects/geany-plugins/

Shameless advertising...I like this :).