[Geany] tab indents, space aligns

Daniel Milde info at xxxxx
Thu May 14 18:05:19 UTC 2009

Thomas Martitz píše v Čt 14. 05. 2009 v 02:00 +0200:
> Daniel Milde schrieb:
> > "Tab indents, space aligns" method is the best I have ever seen. It's
> > surely the most free one. I hope that Geany will support it again soon.
> > If I will be able to, I will try to help to reimplement it.
> >

> I, for myself, can't see how *any* TAB is useful for indentation at all.
> The look of the code highly depends on the settings of the user
> (particularly when mixed with spaces), and is independent of the sane
> indentation the author gave it.
>
> Any tab+space will be broken if the user choses another tab width that
> the author did.
>
> Please don't complicate indentation even more.
>
> Best regards.

And that's just wrong.

1) If I use only TABs, then my alignment can be destroyed when user
changes tab width.

2) If I use only spaces, than it can't be destroyed, but it can't be
changed by user! And when some people use 2 spaces width and other 8
spaces width it's a real difference. Then is such code unreadable for
them.

3) Finally when I use TABs for indention and SPACEs for alignment it
can't be destroyed whatever user sets tab width to.

Example:

class Foo
{
->function Boo(param1,
->.............param2,
->.............param3)
->{
->->query = "SELECT name,
->->.........FROM users
->->.........WHERE blabla";
->->sql->query(query);
->}
}

Such code is readable with every tab width setting and stays nicely
aligned.

Best regards

Daniel