[Geany] filebrowser_filter

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Fri May 8 16:25:52 UTC 2009

On Fri, 08 May 2009 19:34:02 +1000, Ross wrote:

>Enrico Tröger wrote:
>
>>However, while testing it to verify I noticed it filters also
>>directories which might not be desirable.
>>Any opinions of users who uses the filebrowser plugin?
>
>Much prefer it to not filter out directories.

As mentioned in the other post, done in SVN.

>Multiple extension filters in whichever form would be very nice, not
>worried whether it would be by globbing or by regex. Whilst globbing is
>quite familiar to most, regex would also allow exclusions (e.g. all
>except .jpg, .gif, .png etc. that Geany can't edit)

Without thinking too deeply about it, two problems instantly pop up in
my mind:
a) "real" globbing would be cool but glob() is not that portable, IIRC
it's missing completely on Windows and I'm not sure about the various
Unix variants. The manpage says it is conforming to POSIX.2 and
POSIX.1-2001, so what about the other systems?

b) regex would be way more flexible and it's more portable (for
systems without it we have a small implementation embedded) but it
would also be harder to use. E.g. something like "*.py" wouldn't work
anymore as it's not globbing.

>Best: can there be an attribute of the project to remember the filter?
>i.e. something that is remembered when switching from a PHP project to
>a C++ project or a Python project, etc.

Surely possible but it still needs someone to implement it.

>Also: standardised sets of lists via a drop-down, e.g.
>
>* XML type files: .xml, .xsl, .xhtml, etc.
>* web scripts: .html, .xhtml, .htm, .php*, .asp*, .css, ...
>* C++ files: .c, .h, .c++, .cxx, .h++, .hxx, .hpp, ...

See above.