[Geany] Feature request: keeping information about file encoding

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Fri Mar 27 15:16:06 UTC 2009

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 00:41:12 +0100, Filip wrote:

Hey,

>This is something that would really make my life simpler. I never
>remember to choose the right encoding, when I open a file and then I
>have to reload it with proper encoding (it's great, that there is
>already such option).
>
>It would be much better, though, if Geany could store information in
>settings about files, that were explicitly reloaded with certain
>encoding. This would make life much simpler.

Well, Geany does remember the auto-detected (or manually set) encoding
for session files, i.e. for files which were open the last time Geany
was opened. But of course, this is only of limited use.

For a more general solution, you could use 'in-file encoding
specification' like

# encoding = ISO-8859-15

Detailed information about this can be found in the manual, see
http://geany.org/manual/#in-file-encoding-specification