[Geany] Shift Right (ala Nedit)

Mars mfogels at xxxxx
Thu Mar 5 15:30:30 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 4:23 AM, Frank Lanitz <frank at frank.uvena.de> wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 00:21:56 +0100
> Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
>
> > I actually think this would be an awesome improvement and could go into
> > Geany but it still needs someone to write it. So, patches are welcome.
>
> Hmm...ok. Since I'd like to learn something, can somebody of you give
> me a near life case study for this feature? Even I guess I understood
> what it should do, I'm ot sure, why and when to use it.

It sounds like rectangle-mode in Emacs, or column-editing mode in TextMate.

One common use case is formatting data or code.

For instance, say I wanted to work with the whitespace between the first and
second tuple elements in each row of the follow code:

call_foo([
  (a, 1, 1),
  (b, 2, 2),
  (c, 3, 3),
  (d, 4, 4),
  (e, 5, 5)
])

I would select a rectangular region of text between the comma in the first
row, and the second tuple element in the fifth row (covering the whitespace
right down the middle).  Then I can use "shift-left" and "shift-right"
commands to move the entire rectangle around, "grow" or "shrink" commands to
change the whitespace, or "kill" to clear the space and close it up.

In Emacs, you select the rectangle by dropping a mark in one corner, and
placing the cursor in the other.  In TextMate, you can hold down a key and
drag the mouse to select a rectangle of text on the screen.

Maris