[Geany] Shift Right (ala Nedit)

Frank Lanitz frank at xxxxx
Wed Mar 4 22:42:10 UTC 2009

Hi Andrew, hi list

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 22:17:28 +1100
Andrew Janke <a.janke at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you for example rectangular select the middle 'column' in the
> following in Nedit:  (eg: in the first line it would be 'blah.')
>
>   fred.blah.pl
>   mary.john.pl
>   fred.blah.pl
>   mary.john.pl
>   fred.blah.pl
>   mary.john.pl
>   fred.blah.pl
>
> You can then press <Ctrl>9 a few times and quickly get this:
>
>   blah.fred.pl
>   john.mary.pl
>   blah.fred.pl
>   john.mary.pl
>   blah.fred.pl
>   john.mary.pl
>   blah.fred.pl
>
> In what I do I am often fiddling about with such blocks of filenames
> and code.

I'm afraid I don't know of any way how to do it right now (please
correct me when I'm wrong) and I'm not sure whether this feature is
useful to be part of Geany's main distribution.
But I can imagine of two ways how to implement this:
1.) Creating a small [shell|python|perl|ruby|awk|sed|...]script and use
it with custom command feature
http://www.geany.org/manual/current/index.html#send-text-through-definable-commands
2.) Building a plugin for doing this which would cause a lot of
overhead but makes it maybe more comfortable for other users.

Thanks,
Frank
--
http://frank.uvena.de/en/