[Geany] end key and visual line break

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Jun 28 14:50:48 UTC 2009

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 16:08:03 +0200, Heiko wrote:

>Am 28.06.2009 schrieb Enrico Tröger:
>
>> >I am using Geany for editing some LaTeX files, using the visual line
>> >break option. From other editors I am used to press the "end" key
>> >for jumping to the visual line break, not to the actual line end.
>> >I found the key binding "alt-end" and I want to swap those two. In
>> >the options there is the "go to line end" with its end key
>> >changeable, but not the "alt +end" shortcut. Is this possible at
>> >all? What did I miss?
>
>> Nothing, it's just not configurable.
>> Do we really need to change this?
>
>The questions are: Do you really need some key to jump to the line
>*end* if you are doing visual line break? Do you need it more often
>than to get to the line *break*? What is more intuitive?
>Would anyone need to change his behavior, if it were configured other
>way round in default?

No idea :). I personally don't use line wrapping [1], I prefer to add
line breaks when I want a line to be ended. But yeah, of course this
isn't possible in all text and there are reasons for line wrapping.

>If you come to the right answers, you will agree to make it at least
>configurable. :o)

Probably.
Ok, I'll add a new keybinding to change the keybinding and report here
when I have done it.

[1] 'line wrapping' is the proper term in English. 'visual line break'
is a re-translation of the German term 'Visueller Zeilenumbruch'. The
German translation isn't really good but I added it because I didn't
know a better term and the other German users probably didn't so as
well. I just mention it because 'line break' is something different.