[Geany] Feature request - hiding tabs/spaces problem

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Tue Jun 23 12:44:45 UTC 2009

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 23:13:40 +0200
Filip Gruszczyński <gruszczy at gmail.com> wrote:

> First tabs/spaces detection: it doesn't seem to work. I opened first
> one of my files - it detected tabs correctly. Then I opened some other
> Python code, which used spaces - status bar kept saying it's tabs and
> used tabs, instead of spaces. I had to change it explicitly.

Well, assuming it wasn't a different project (projects have their own
indent settings), that file must have confused Geany's detection by
having some lines that start with tabs. If you provide the code it
might be clearer why.

> But this completely different what I imagine: when I open someone's
> code, I wouldn't like to care, if it's tabs or spaces. I hate using
> spaces, because it makes me type a lot more. So instead, I would like
> the editor to hide it from me. I would see tabs, although underneath
> the code would use spaces. Is such a thing possible?

No, I think this would be too messy to implement. But we could make the
Spaces indent mode a bit easier to use, perhaps a pref to make the
<- -> arrow keys jump through the number of spaces of the indent size.

Regards,
Nick