[Geany] Windows Explorer right click gives me shortened 8.3 dos file names.

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Jun 16 19:39:46 UTC 2009

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 11:10:02 +0100, Louis wrote:

Hi,

>However there is a problem that has really been bugging me in Windows
>and I cannot find an easy fix. I have tried uninstalling and
>reinstalling, upgrading to the latest version, but the problem still
>remains.
>
>When I open a file for example "ScintillaLicense.txt" using File Open
>the full name "ScintillaLicense.txt" in the tab. However if open this
>file by right clicking in Windows Explorer and using the context menu
>and then select "open with Geany" I get the shortened 8.3 dos file
>name in the tab so that "ScintillaLicense.txt" appears as
>"SCINTI~1.TXT" and the path is also shortened to
>"C:\PROGRA~1\Geany\doc\" instead of "C:\Program Files\Geany\doc\".
>Below is copy of the Status Window messages.
>
>12:22:32: This is Geany 0.17.
>12:30:21: File C:\PROGRA~1\Geany\doc\SCINTI~1.TXT opened(1).
>12:30:57: File C:\Program Files\Geany\doc\ScintillaLicense.txt opened
>(2).

Interesting.
According from the log above, I assume you start Geany from the
Explorer context menu? Or was Geany already running when opened the
file the first time?

What version of Windows are you running and with which locale (I
assume English)?
For some reason, it works here and I have no idea what's wrong.

>Tags to help others when searching for a solution to this problem:
>
>Geany 8.3 filename
>Geany dos filename
>Geany short filename
>Geany 12 character filename