[Geany] Windows Explorer right click gives me shortened 8.3 dos file names.

Louis Barman louisbarman at xxxxx
Tue Jun 16 10:10:02 UTC 2009

Hello All,

Thanks everyone for producing a wonderful IDE. I use it in both in
Linux and Windows.

However there is a problem that has really been bugging me in Windows
and I cannot find an easy fix. I have tried uninstalling and
reinstalling, upgrading to the latest version, but the problem still
remains.

When I open a file for example "ScintillaLicense.txt" using File Open
the full name "ScintillaLicense.txt" in the tab. However if open this
file by right clicking in Windows Explorer and using the context menu
and then select "open with Geany" I get the shortened 8.3 dos file
name in the tab so that "ScintillaLicense.txt" appears as
"SCINTI~1.TXT" and the path is also shortened to
"C:\PROGRA~1\Geany\doc\" instead of "C:\Program Files\Geany\doc\".
Below is copy of the Status Window messages.

12:22:32: This is Geany 0.17.
12:30:21: File C:\PROGRA~1\Geany\doc\SCINTI~1.TXT opened(1).
12:30:57: File C:\Program Files\Geany\doc\ScintillaLicense.txt opened(2).

I am guessing that this is a windows registry problem, but you would
have thought that completely uninstalling and reinstalling Geany would
have fixed this problem.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated

Thank You

Louis Barman

Tags to help others when searching for a solution to this problem:

Geany 8.3 filename
Geany dos filename
Geany short filename
Geany 12 character filename