[Geany] Can I autocomplete words other than symbols?

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Sat Jun 13 12:09:47 UTC 2009

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 11:53:52 -0400
William Gilbert <gilbertw1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> for in ~/.config/geany didn't exist yet so I created it and placed the
> .so file inside, however Geany didn't show it in the plugin manager.

That should be:
~/.config/geany/plugins

But if ~/.config/geany didn't exist, either you haven't run Geany or
you have an old version of Geany.

> I also placed the file within /usr/lib/geany/ where the other plugins
> were located (the ones shipped with Geany) however I did not have any
> luck there either. Geany is loading the other plugins, just not this

What is the path that geany uses? Try:
geany --print-prefix

> one. Does geany give any error message if it fails to load a plugin.

Yes, if run with -v it prints information in a terminal, but these
messages should be seen in the help->debug window anyway. E.g. :

** INFO: Plugin "/home/nmt/.config/geany/plugins/vcdiff.so" is not
binary compatible with this release of Geany - recompile it.

> For reference, the command I used to compile was:
>
> gcc -shared -o actest.so actest.c `pkg-config --cflags geany` -fPIC

What does 'file actest.so' report? It's possible gcc is creating a
relocatable object file or executable instead of a shared library.

You might need to do something like:

gcc -shared -c actest.c `pkg-config --cflags geany` -fPIC
gcc -shared actest.o -o actest.so `pkg-config --libs geany`
-fPIC

Regards,
Nick