[Geany] Can I autocomplete words other than symbols?

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Wed Jun 10 21:51:22 UTC 2009

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 15:26:41 -0400, William wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I would like to know if there is a way to autocomplete words other
>than symbols in Geany similar to the way it works in Scite. For
>example, when I am programming in Haskell, I normally write the type
>definition for a function before I write the function itself:
>
>------------------------
>SomeReallyLongFunctionName :: Int -> Int
>------------------------
>
>Then I immediately start writing the function definition after that,

Because I (maybe others) don't know Haskell at all, a code sample would
help demonstrating what you want.

>however I can't use autocomplete to complete the function name.
>Instead I have to either type the whole thing out again or copy and
>paste it. This would also help out a lot when I am programming in a
>language that is not directly supported by Geany i.e. Groovy.

If I understand you correctly, you want completion of arbitrary words
of the current document. This is indeed not possible but was requested
one or even multiple times in the past. The obvious problem is that it
might slow down everything significantly because then Geany would parse
and remember each single word in the current document and to complete
the typed start of a word it would need to check the already typed
against all words of the document. If you want it globally, for all
open documents, it would be even worse. However, maybe it won't be as
slow or not noticeable, this needs to be tested.