[Geany] Geany in another language

Laurent Hoeltgen hoeltgman at xxxxx
Tue Jun 9 18:37:45 UTC 2009

Enrico Tröger schrieb:
> On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 19:40:29 +0200, Frank wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 19:31:04 +0200
>> Laurent Hoeltgen <hoeltgman at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I know this questions is in the FAQ, however it doesn't work for me.
>>> I've got Ubuntu 8.04 in German. But when I try to start geany in any
>>> other language using
>>> LANG=lb geany
>>> for example, I end ub with geany in English and get the following
>>> Debug message.
>>> WARNING	: Locale not supported by C library.
>>> 	Using the fallback 'C' locale.
>>>
>>> Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong?
>> Can you please post what locale is giving you back on commandline?
>
> ?
>

>> In most cases it is because lb is not configured on your system. On
>> Debian this can be done with
>>
>> sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales
>>
>> If I understand $search_enging correct you will need to add lb into
>> file /var/lib/locales/supported.d/local and run sudo dpkg-reconfigure
>> locales after.

I did that. "sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales" outputs a list with locales
that it updated. The last line it writes gives:

lb_LU.UTF-8... cannot open locale definition file `lb_LU': No such file
or directory
failed

I wonder what files it's looking for and also where it is looking for them.

I have an empty folder in /usr/lib/locale with the name "lb_LU.utf8"
and an empty file called "lb" in /var/lib/locales/supported.d/

I doubt that these things should actually be empty.

> A more general, less Debian-specific approach is to
> edit /etc/locale.gen and add
> lb_LU.utf-8
> or whatever is the correct language code for Luxembourg.
> After that, run 'locale-gen' to generate the newly added locale. Then
> LANG=lb_LU.utf-8 geany
> should work.
>
> However, completely unrelated to Geany.

Couldn't find /etc/locale.gen on my Ubuntu. I guess this is one of the
points where Ubuntu differs from Debian.