[Geany] version numbers - Re: Quo vadis, Geany?

John Yeung gallium.arsenide at xxxxx
Mon Jul 27 13:30:21 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 8:04 AM, Thomas
Martitz<thomas.martitz at student.htw-berlin.de> wrote:
> Nick Treleaven schrieb:
>>
>> Well, a 1.0 release usually indicates better stability than an 0.x
>> release.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Nick
>
> That's bullshit, to be honest.

Well, going back to the marketing angle, I would say that there are
still a lot of people who *perceive* a 1.0 release to have better
stability (more suitable for production deployment, etc.) than 0.x.
So I'm with Nick if I'm allowed to read "indicates" as "gives the
external appearance of".

Also, while I agree with some of the other comments that programmers
are less likely to care whether a version number is below 1, I would
guess that there are still a significant number of programmers who do.
 I'm not saying that Geany should jump to version 1.0 to try to
capture these programmers, just that I think these programmers exist.

John