[Geany] version numbers - Re: Quo vadis, Geany?

Frank Lanitz frank at xxxxx
Sat Jul 25 20:21:03 UTC 2009

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 17:11:55 -0600
Ben West <mrgenixus at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 3:29 PM, Frank Lanitz <frank at frank.uvena.de>
> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 16:45:27 +0100
> > Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

> > > Haha!

> > > Then continue with negative numbers ;-)
> > >
> > > Personally I'm not updating Firefox again 'til they release 3.5 +
> > > 1.1i.
> >
> > Why not in a form like this?
> > r * e^(i*phi)

> > > Agreed, it's worth it for the marketing benefits.
> >
> > I doubt that there is really a benefit for marketing. At least
> > inside the group of users Geany is addressing.
> >

> I find your conclusion jarring. I think you're relying on an
> underlying flawed belief in the deterministic nature of market,
> which, I submit, though biased to be completely unproven -- perhaps
> the market is bigger than currently probed, but how will you know
> without marketing?

Sure. There has been no poll or something like that. But this being said
from my point of view Geany target group is something about a normal
developer which should be familiar with numbering in OSS shouldn't care
much about whether there was an 1.0 or not. Its nly the featurset not
the version number which is counting.

Cheers,
Frank
--