[Geany] UI rebuild in xfwm, project status in sessions, tag file append, compile error possitioning

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Wed Jul 8 11:51:52 UTC 2009

On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 17:42:10 +0200
Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:

> >The entire Geany app. just frezz for a short while (and consumes a lot
> >of CPU), I assume it is re-render some (editor ?) elements, but I
> >can't see anything, other than CPU usage. The more files I have open,
> >the longer the frezz  gets.
>
> No idea, sorry. First, I can't reproduce this assuming we are talking
> about switching from a workspace A to workspace B where Geany is
> running on B.
> And I'm not sure whether this is Geany's fault. At least Geany
> shouldn't do anything special when it gets the focus.
> Or maybe, it's related to the delayed colouring.
> Nick any idea?

The delayed colouring should only colour the document if it is needed,
so just switching workspaces should not trigger this - it will trigger
some signal handlers but they should be fast in this case.

It's possible there's a bug in determining when a document needs
recolouring, but I think switching workspaces won't trigger it.

You can try running Geany in GDB, press Ctrl-C, then:
--------------
0x00110402 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
(gdb) b sci_colourise
Breakpoint 2 at 0x80d7612: file sciwrappers.c, line 623.
(gdb) command 2
Type commands for when breakpoint 2 is hit, one per line.
End with a line saying just "end".
>call utils_beep()
>end
(gdb) c
Continuing.

Breakpoint 2, sci_colourise (sci=0x9be3290, start=0, end=-1) at
sciwrappers.c:623 623             SSM( sci, SCI_COLOURISE, start, end);
--------------

This beeps every time Geany recolours a document.

> >Could geany save its states on a more regular basis (only when needed
> >of cause), like on the save-all function, this would eliminate the
> >"need of restart" problem ?
>
> Not sure what you mean here. I don't like something like 'regularly
> saving the config' as it Pidgin does. This is weird, to me.
> Why should we save our state on 'save all', this seems totally
> unrelated.

Yes, and it would be strange when using multiple instances of geany,
e.g. 2 instances overwriting the config file with different
settings.

Regards,
Nick