[Geany] Inserting fregments of code into geany

Dominic Hopf dmaphy at xxxxx
Sat Jan 31 12:30:57 UTC 2009

Am Samstag, den 31.01.2009, 14:20 +1100 schrieb Sam Russo:
> Hi all,
> this is my first posting to the geany mail list!
> I've been looking for a replacement for Editplus (excellent windows text
> editor... but now I completely debian/ubuntu based) to do my coding
> (php/perl/sql) and Geany looks like it might be sufficient.
>
> What I need to be able to do ( I'm not sure if "snippets" can actually
> do it)  is as follows:
> 1. Bring up a list that has all my little fragments of code. THis will
> not replace any text it simply will be inserted at the cursor point
> 2. I would like to search quickly my fragments
> e.g  mysql_connect
> will insert the 4 or 5 lines have the mysql_connect code with my
> username passwords host etc in it
Until this point, this is possible with snippets which are supported by
current versions of geany. You will have to manually edit your
snippets.conf accordingly. See the documentation for information how to
do that.

> 3. Once I find the correct fragment I click on it and it inserts the
> code into the editor at the cursor point.
Sounds like you are asking for a GUI to edit and list snippets. Would be
an interesting feature, but i don't think it will get into 0.16. Maybe
in a later version or as a plugin. Patches are welcome anyway i think.
(I'm not developer of geany.)

> 4. I have different lists as well.
> e.g phpcode,perlcode,actionscript code, etc
This is also supported by the snippets-feature, at least PHP and Perl
are. I'm not sure if geany has language support for Action Script yet.