[Geany] Enabling save after no changes

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Fri Jan 30 13:47:11 UTC 2009

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 12:50:33 -0500 (EST), Greg Smith
<gsmith at gregsmith.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 29 Jan 2009, Enrico Tröger wrote:
>
>> Never worked on a RHEL system, but I guess you don't need things like
>> libpng-devel xorg-x11-proto-devel libx11-devel libXau-devel
>> libXdmcp-devel atk-devel
>> These dependencies should all b pulled in by gtk2-devel.
>
>Unfortunately they aren't.  The order I listed those in is the order I
>installed them in, more or less, and everything but the first couple
>came in one at a time after autogen.sh complained.  Once I got all the
>basic build tools installed and pulled in gtk2-devel, autogen.sh ran
>to the end, but the gtk checks failed.  First it wanted pango, then
>cairo, and so on. I installed each of those then started autogen over
>to see what it wanted next.
>
>It may be possible to optimize the list I gave a bit, but I'm quite
>sure installing gtk2-devel isn't nearly enough--Redhat really breaks
>that area down into small components.  Take a look at

That is the same on other systems, on Debian we also have separate
packages for gtk, glib, pango, cairo and then separate packages for
their devel versions and for the docs. BUT the important thing is that
these package depend on each other in a way that installing the
biggest one, the top of the stack, in this case GTK, should
automatically also install its dependencies. This works at least for
Debian and Ubuntu systems.
But well, this is all very unrelated to Geany itself :).

>Good news is that once I did all that, "make install" after building
>from source worked perfectly--menu item under
>"Applications/Programming" and everything.  Next time I'm on a GUI
>RHEL4 system I'll figure out what the list you need there is too.
>Given that Geany is still under heavy modification, I think a doc page
>describing how to build from source under RHEL/Fedora would be a good

Hmm, first of all, I guess it would be the best if you would write
those as *you* just had the pain of finding them out plus at least me
is not a RHEL/Fedora user.

>addition for you.  The instructions you provide worked perfectly for

which instructions exactly?