[Geany] Enabling save after no changes

Greg Smith gsmith at xxxxx
Thu Jan 29 17:50:33 UTC 2009

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009, Enrico Tröger wrote:

> Never worked on a RHEL system, but I guess you don't need things like
> libpng-devel xorg-x11-proto-devel libx11-devel libXau-devel
> libXdmcp-devel atk-devel
> These dependencies should all b pulled in by gtk2-devel.

Unfortunately they aren't.  The order I listed those in is the order I
installed them in, more or less, and everything but the first couple came
in one at a time after autogen.sh complained.  Once I got all the basic
build tools installed and pulled in gtk2-devel, autogen.sh ran to the end,
but the gtk checks failed.  First it wanted pango, then cairo, and so on.
I installed each of those then started autogen over to see what it wanted
next.

It may be possible to optimize the list I gave a bit, but I'm quite sure
installing gtk2-devel isn't nearly enough--Redhat really breaks that area
down into small components.  Take a look at
https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?forum=7&topic_id=7890
if you want a feel for bad it is in this area (it's *modular*, isn't that
great!).  Found that after an hour of not being able to figure out what
provided xrender.pc nowadays in RHEL5.

Good news is that once I did all that, "make install" after building from
source worked perfectly--menu item under "Applications/Programming" and
everything.  Next time I'm on a GUI RHEL4 system I'll figure out what the
list you need there is too.  Given that Geany is still under heavy
modification, I think a doc page describing how to build from source under
RHEL/Fedora would be a good addition for you.  The instructions you
provide worked perfectly for me on Ubuntu, it was really quite painful on
RedHat, and I wouldn't expect a lot of people to go through what I did
without giving up first.

--
* Greg Smith gsmith at gregsmith.com http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD