[Geany] "New file" in file browser plugin menu

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Thu Jan 29 16:39:50 UTC 2009

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 23:57:47 +0100, Harold Aling <geany at sait.nl> wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 18:48:03 +0100, Enrico Tröger
><enrico.troeger at uvena.de>
>wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 11:21:26 +0100, Harold Aling <geany at sait.nl>
>> wrote:

>> Why?
>
>Let's say I'm working in /var/www/d6/sites/all/modules/my_module and I
>need a new, empty file there: 'my_module.inc'
>
>Geany's default dir is set to '/var/www'.
>
>To create a new file in the 'my_module' dir you now have to:
>1) Create a new file (ctrl-n)
>2) Save the new file (ctrl-s)
>3) Open 'd6'
>4) Open 'sites'
>5) Open 'all'
>6) Open 'modules'
>7) Open 'my_module'
>8) Give the new file a name
>9) Save the file
>
>If the file browser would support creating new files:
>
>1) Right click in the filebrowser
>2) Select 'new file' (or maybe even 'new folder'?)
>3) Give the new file a name
>4) Done
>
>It just seems logical to be able to do it in the file browser, but
>maybe I'm alone in that...

You know you can create bookmarks in the GTK filechooser? This won't
solve your request directly, but may help to reach common locations in
your filesystem faster.

>> The toolbar buttons are not that far away and adding them to the
>> filebrowser plugin would cause that we expose this all to the plugin
>> API. Of course, you don't care about the technical changes (I
>> wouldn't do so as well in your position :D) but it's just rather
>> much efforts for a little benefit, IMO.
>
>I just thought it would be handy. I don't think about technical
>changes, since I don't know any C. I'm just a simple php script guy...

I know and that's ok. I just wanted to mention that it is not as
trivial as it may sound because the filebrowser is a plugin.
I think I won't work on this, at least not before the next release.
Sorry.