[Geany] Enabling save after no changes

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Thu Jan 29 16:37:07 UTC 2009

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 15:51:31 -0500 (EST), Greg Smith
<gsmith at gregsmith.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Jan 2009, Enrico Tröger wrote:
>
>> The pref is called "allow_always_save" and off by default.
>
>This part worked perfectly--exactly the behavior I was hoping for.
>Thanks for adding that feature so fast.
>
>The below is all build/docs feedback.
>
>Now that I get to do my first build from source...on a RHEL system,
>libtoolize is in another package from the rest of the auto* tools.
>Your autogen.sh doesn't recognize that possibility though, which means
>that if you don't have libtoolize|glibtoolize in your path then
>autogen.sh won't catch it, and instead will fail badly ("command not
>found" for the call to libtoolize but it keeps going).  Here's a patch
>for autogen.sh that fixes that:
>
>(libtoolize --version) < /dev/null > /dev/null 2>&1 || {
>     (glibtoolize --version) < /dev/null > /dev/null 2>&1 || {
>         echo
>         echo "**Error**: You must have the GNU \`libtoolize'
> installed." echo "You can get it from:"
>         echo "  http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/"
>         DIE=1
>     }
>}

Thanks, committed.

>In case anybody else is curious how to get Geany to build from source
>on a RHEL5 that wasn't installed with all the GTK/X development tools,
>I had to install the following packages before autogen.sh would work:
>
>sudo yum install automake autoconf intltool libtool libtool-ltdl
>gtk2-devel glib2-devel pango-devel cairo-devel freetype-devel
>fontconfig-devel libpng-devel xorg-x11-proto-devel libx11-devel
>libXau-devel libXdmcp-devel atk-devel

Never worked on a RHEL system, but I guess you don't need things like
libpng-devel xorg-x11-proto-devel libx11-devel libXau-devel
libXdmcp-devel atk-devel
These dependencies should all b pulled in by gtk2-devel.
On Debian systems and its derivates, there is a command:
apt-get build-dep geany
which installs all necessary dependencies to install the given package
from source. Not sure whether there is something equivalent for RPM
based systems. Plus, obviously, it assumes the package itself is
already known to the package management.
Anyway, as said, basically automake, autoconf, libtool and gtk2-devel
should be enough. If not, I'd sa the package management is
sub-optimal :).

>> How to set hidden preferences is described in the manual
>> http://geany.org/manual/0.15/#hidden-preferences (the new one is
>> still missing in the docs but will be added later)
>
>On said RHEL5 system the config file doesn't end up in
>~/.geany/geany.conf as described there; it's actually in
>~/.config/geany  That alternate location may be worth mentioning in
>that part of the manual; I'm not familiar enough with this area to
>know why that is though.

We changed the default configuration directory path some weeks ago.
Until 0.15 it was ~/.geany/, so the docs and all are referring to this
location.
In current SVN, the new location is ~/.config/geany/ to match FDo
standards, the docs in SVN and at
http://geany.org/manual/dev/#hidden-preferences, already mention the
new location. The change was also announced on the mailing list for SVN
users (http://lists.uvena.de/pipermail/geany/2008-November/003757.html).