[Geany] "New file" in file browser plugin menu

Harold Aling geany at xxxxx
Wed Jan 28 22:57:47 UTC 2009

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 18:48:03 +0100, Enrico Tröger
<enrico.troeger at uvena.de>
wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 11:21:26 +0100, Harold Aling <geany at sait.nl> wrote:
>>On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 16:03:00 +0100, Harold Aling <geany at sait.nl> wrote:
>>> Dear Geany devs,
>>>
>>> It would be really nice if the 'New' and 'New from template' options
>>> were available in the right-click menu of the file browser sidebar.
>
> Why?

Let's say I'm working in /var/www/d6/sites/all/modules/my_module and I need
a new, empty file there: 'my_module.inc'

Geany's default dir is set to '/var/www'.

To create a new file in the 'my_module' dir you now have to:
1) Create a new file (ctrl-n)
2) Save the new file (ctrl-s)
3) Open 'd6'
4) Open 'sites'
5) Open 'all'
6) Open 'modules'
7) Open 'my_module'
8) Give the new file a name
9) Save the file

If the file browser would support creating new files:

1) Right click in the filebrowser
2) Select 'new file' (or maybe even 'new folder'?)
3) Give the new file a name
4) Done

It just seems logical to be able to do it in the file browser, but maybe
I'm alone in that...

> The toolbar buttons are not that far away and adding them to the
> filebrowser plugin would cause that we expose this all to the plugin
> API. Of course, you don't care about the technical changes (I wouldn't
> do so as well in your position :D) but it's just rather much efforts for
> a little benefit, IMO.

I just thought it would be handy. I don't think about technical changes,
since I don't know any C. I'm just a simple php script guy...

>>> Ideally, there would be a pop-up in which you can name the newly
>>> created file...
>
> This popup is called 'Save As' dialog :).
> Seriously, I don't think it's worth adding this, as you will get  the
> Save As dialog when you save a new file.
>

>>I've got another one for the file browser: enable rightclick without
>>having to select the file/folder with left click first. So a right
>>click does a select first.
>
> Yes, thanks for suggestion. Done in SVN.

Thanks for adding it!

> Regards,
> Enrico

-H-