[Geany] "Replace All" button order

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Jan 27 20:25:01 UTC 2009

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 14:49:49 -0500, "Daniel Richard G."
<skunk at iSKUNK.ORG> wrote:

>On Tue, 2009 Jan 27 19:11:39 +0100, Enrico Tröger wrote:
>> >
>> >Well, you'd dynamically update the status of the Selection button
>> >to reflect the existence/absence of a selection to operate on. The
>> >whole idea is, the button is greyed out at the times that its
>> >associated action is not sensible.
>>
>> Oh come on, then we could also add tons of other useless
>> features just to bloat it up.
>>
>> I think users will notice that the 'in selection' action doesn't make
>> any sense when there is no selection, users are not stupid (although
>> some designers of a famous DE may think this sometimes...).
>
>It's no different than greying out a Web browser's "Stop" button when
>a site has finished loading. Sure, a user might already know that
>there is no selection, or that a site is already loaded, but the
>grey-out makes the current state more conspicuous---as well as that
>the associated operation is a no-op.
>
>Is that feature bloat? Well... yeah, if your standard is xedit }:)

Maybe not. But from the technically POV, you need to watch mouse
events, then check in the event handler whether a selection exists or
not and then notify the search/replace dialog.
It's possible at all, no doubt and it's not difficult but it's just
code which is not that necessary, IMHO.