[Geany] "Replace All" button order

Daniel Richard G. skunk at xxxxx
Tue Jan 27 19:49:49 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009 Jan 27 19:11:39 +0100, Enrico Tröger wrote:

> >Well, you'd dynamically update the status of the Selection button to
> >reflect the existence/absence of a selection to operate on. The whole
> >idea is, the button is greyed out at the times that its associated
> >action is not sensible.
>
> Oh come on, then we could also add tons of other useless
> features just to bloat it up.
>
> I think users will notice that the 'in selection' action doesn't make
> any sense when there is no selection, users are not stupid (although
> some designers of a famous DE may think this sometimes...).

It's no different than greying out a Web browser's "Stop" button when a
site has finished loading. Sure, a user might already know that there is no
selection, or that a site is already loaded, but the grey-out makes the
current state more conspicuous---as well as that the associated operation
is a no-op.

Is that feature bloat? Well... yeah, if your standard is xedit }:)

--Daniel

--
NAME   = Daniel Richard G.       ##  Remember, skunks       _\|/_  meef?
EMAIL1 = skunk at iskunk.org        ##  don't smell bad---    (/o|o\) /