[Geany] "Replace All" button order

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Jan 27 18:11:39 UTC 2009

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 12:47:34 -0500, "Daniel Richard G."
<skunk at iSKUNK.ORG> wrote:

>> >Yes, this is a good idea (at least for selection).
>>
>> No, it's not.
>> As the whole dialog is non-modal by design, making it possible to
>> change text, change the selection, change documents while the dialog
>> is open, it doesn't make sense to disable the Selection button even
>> if there is no selection.
>
>Well, you'd dynamically update the status of the Selection button to
>reflect the existence/absence of a selection to operate on. The whole
>idea is, the button is greyed out at the times that its associated
>action is not sensible.

Oh come on, then we could also add tons of other useless
features just to bloat it up.
I think users will notice that the 'in selection' action doesn't make
any sense when there is no selection, users are not stupid (although
some designers of a famous DE may think this sometimes...).

>> It didn't hurt people in the past few years, so it probably also
>> won't in the future :).
>
>Just wait till someone comes on here and posts "I pressed the 'In
>Selection' button when there wasn't a selection... and my computer
>ESPLODED!!!" ^_^

Hmm, if the user's computer is exploded, we are still safe because then
he can't write to the list anymore assuming users have no friends and
social contacts :).

Er, hrm, j/k.