[Geany] Enabling save after no changes

Greg Smith gsmith at xxxxx
Sat Jan 24 23:28:41 UTC 2009

I'm paranoid and I save files I'm working on a lot.  Since I'm stuck with
multiple platforms and programs I edit things with, I've settled on Alt-F
to reach the file menu and S to save as having the broadest compatibility
there.

This doesn't work well with Geany, because "Save" is grayed out if you
haven't modified the file yet.  So if you haven't made a change yet, that
combination of keys leaves one stuck in the menu structure, likely to
cause mayhem if you keep typing without noticing what happened.  I find
applications that change how the menus work in a modal way like this any
more than absolutely necessary frustrating, and I'm not aware of any other
GNOME applications that work this way.

There's multiple use cases this doesn't support too.  I might want to save
a file just to update its timestamp, or just to confirm that I have
appropriate permissions to change it before I actually begin editing it.

Is there any way to change this behavior?  What I normally expect from a
programming oriented editor is a visual indication of changed/unchanged,
but not for save to ever be disabled.  I'm sure there are people that
prefer the current behavior, so some sort of settings option ("Disable
save if document unchaged") to toggle between the two would seem the ideal
way to handle this.

--
* Greg Smith gsmith at gregsmith.com http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD