[Geany] "Replace All" button order

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Thu Jan 22 21:00:27 UTC 2009

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 18:12:36 -0500, "Daniel Richard G."
<skunk at iSKUNK.ORG> wrote:

>On Tue, 2009 Jan 20 12:44:52 +0000, Nick Treleaven wrote:
>> >
>> > But the dialog doesn't grow in height when the arrow is
>> > opened---the widgets just get squeezed a little tighter vertically.
>>
>> It does the first time.
>
>Okay, I see what you mean. Still, it's only by a little bit....
>
>> > A persistent arrow could work, too, but... isn't that making
>> > things more complicated than they need to be? It simplifies the
>> > dialog visually when the user doesn't want to see the replace-all
>> > functionality, but then you still have that element of UI
>> > modality, and now a new config variable to
>>
>> Not sure why that's a problem (maybe my ignorance though ;-))
>
>Just that, as the buttons are not a fixed part of the dialog, you
>can't always count on them being there, ready to click---not without
>the extra overhead of expanding the arrow. It's a small nicety to know

With Nick's suggestion to make the arrow state persistent, you only
have to open the expander once, then it will 'stay' open as long as you
won't delete your config.

>> > keep track of it. Not to mention, the opened arrow/label doesn't
>> > associate itself with the buttons very well if the act of having
>> > opened it is not in recent memory. (In other words, if you see the
>> > dialog for the first time with the arrow already opened, the arrow
>> > label doesn't do a good job of actually labeling the set of
>> > buttons.)
>>
>> We could add a 'Replace all in:' label as well, maybe change the
>> close dialog option to work for all buttons, not just replace all.
>
>But that would change the basic behavior of the dialog, where it stays
>around until explicitly told otherwise (via the Close button or the
>checkbox). The Find dialog behaves this way, too, so there would be a
>consistency issue.

Yes, I also wouldn't like to change the close dialog option. It's
pretty fine as it is, IMO.

>> I don't mind if we remove the expander.
>
>I'm all for that ^_^

Is a persistent expander really that bad?
It would be pretty much like without it, you still see it but once
opened (and not closed again) it will always be open, so it's more or
less the same as when the expander was a frame. Plus we have the
benefit that users who really don't want to see/use the replace all
options, simply won't see it and so have a smaller dialog (as I
mentioned before, there are Netbook users out there :D).

Just for the records:
the original topic, the button order, has been changed by Nick today.