[Geany] Minor source touchups

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Jan 19 19:48:51 UTC 2009

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 14:25:00 -0500, "Daniel Richard G."
<skunk at iSKUNK.ORG> wrote:

>On Mon, 2009 Jan 19 18:23:05 +0000, Nick Treleaven wrote:
>>
>> > * Various cases of foo() --> foo(void). (Come on guys... the only
>> > excuse is if you're older than dirt and still haven't broken your
>> > old K&R habits :)
>>
>> Or you are used to C++ or C99 ;-) My brain keeps saying the 'void'
>> is redundant. But I updated my function snippet a while ago to do it
>> for me usually.
>
>It never hurts to make it explicit. In C, a prototype with empty
>parens is sort of like a "wildcard" that will be consistent with any
>same-named function prototype/definition that actually does give the

On a similar note, I recently experienced some nasty crashes when using
the geanyvc and spellcheck plugn together.
After some investigation, I figured that in geanyvc.c there was a
function 'execute_command' which was not declared static and without
prototype. No problem so far.
But the spellcheck plugin uses enchant and enchant loads
libvoikko which loads libmalaga and libmalaga also has a function
'execute_command'. So there was a clash between these symbols for some
reason causing weird segfaults when using any command of geanyvc which
calls its 'execute_command'.
Frank fixed this in r380 and the morale of the story is: use static
whenever possible :). Probably a prototype for 'execute_command' had
also fixed the problem.

>> But the real problem is that gcc doesn't warn about it (or I haven't
>> found an option for gcc 4.1 anyway).
>
>-Wstrict-prototypes :-)  The warning it gives you is "function
>declaration isn’t a prototype".

But this option is not much fun since it causes many, many warnings in
GLib/GTK headers.