[Geany] "Replace All" button order

Daniel Richard G. skunk at xxxxx
Sun Jan 18 19:30:15 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009 Jan 18 13:27:52 +0100, Enrico Tröger wrote:

> Attached are mockups of both variants together with the necessary code
> changes (the patches are mainly for reference).
>
> I basically like both variants but would prefer the one with the frame
> as it groups well the Replace All options together.

That one looks good. The only downside I can see is that the three buttons
are no longer perfectly aligned with the four along the bottom :)

> The variant with the label eliminates the room for the 'Close dialog'
> checkbox so I commented it out on the screenshot and it looks a bit
> lost at all, IMO.

Granted, as the button labels are shorter, everything could be squeezed
tighter horizontally. I'm not sure how the checkbox might go in, however.
If you put it back in on the left, it presses up against "Replace all in:",
and the two could potentially be read as one phrase. On the right, and you
pretty much fly in the face of the Gnome HIG.

For its part, NEdit does things the opposite way: a "Keep Dialog" checkbox.
Any find/replace operation would be a single shot, unless that option is
checked. So the option is grouped together with the other find/replace
options, and not specifically associated with the replace-all buttons. (Not
suggesting that Geany follow suit; only painting the rest of the picture of
this other editor.)

By the way, don't forget the whole button-reordering dealie! If I read Nick
correctly, the desire is to keep more-commonly-used operations to the
right. And we also said that arranging the replace-all scopes in a sorted
order made sense. Which would then imply an end result of session,
document, selection.

--Daniel

--
NAME   = Daniel Richard G.       ##  Remember, skunks       _\|/_  meef?
EMAIL1 = skunk at iskunk.org        ##  don't smell bad---    (/o|o\) /