[Geany] "Replace All" button order

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Jan 18 11:50:27 UTC 2009

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 02:17:42 +0100, spir <denis.spir at free.fr> wrote:

>> > Hmm, not sure. Could be done but adds yet another button, yet
>> > another thing you need to sort out when you do a quick
>> > search/replace. (this is not a 'no', just a 'I won't work on it')
>[...]
>> "In Scope"
>> sounds interesting, but I think it would be too complicated
>> practically to be added alongside the other find/replace modes. My
>> misgivings:
>>
>> 1. Would it work reliably/predictably, even in cases of complex C++
>> code and the like?
>>
>> 2. What, exactly, does "scope" mean? Body of the current
>> function/method? (Would it include the signature line, so you can
>> find/replace the formal parameters too?)
>
>Yes, I meant that. Precisely, as a formal parameter (name) is a local
>variable (name), I find practicle to be able to "replace all" in the
>scope of the name life. Namely (sic!) a namespace is imo the proper
>scope of a "replace all" feature in many cases, if not most. So that
>when writing "in scope" I rather meant "in the extent of the current
>code section that defines a namespace".
> What about just the current curly-brace block, which
>>    would also have a claim to the term "scope?" Or the current
>> class? Would there be a preference to decide between these, or would
>> it be something set by the language syntax driver?
>
>The note above basically excludes lower level code blocks such as
>loops or ifs. Anyway, this seems mostly useful for funcs/methods and
>it would apply on a whole class only when one points at a line at
>class top-level. An alternative may be to define this at per-language
>level inside language specific config files, so that there would be
>both a geany default and possible user preference.

Hmm, first this is going a bit off-topic and far beyond the original
request.
I don't think we need this in the core of Geany, could be done as a
plugin, maybe.
But per filetype scope settings just for 'Replace All' sounds heavy to
me, sorry.

Anyway, we already have some code to find the scope at the cursor
position and the found scope is displayed in the statusbar. Anyway,
it's known that this value is not always accurate and not that
reliable. Especially for PHP files and maybe others.