[Geany] "Replace All" button order

spir denis.spir at xxxxx
Sun Jan 18 01:17:42 UTC 2009

Le Sat, 17 Jan 2009 14:56:11 -0500,
"Daniel Richard G." <skunk at iSKUNK.ORG> a écrit :

> Placing a "Replace All" GtkFrame around them might address potential user
> confusion... grouping the buttons together in the same way that the arrow
> currently does, but without hiding anything.
>
> Alternately, just to toss in another idea, NEdit uses a label at the left
> such that the button labels complete a sentence. Something like
>
> 	Replace all in: [Session] [Document] [Selection]
>
> (Which would nicely eliminate the redundant "In" preposition on each of the
> buttons.)

+++

> > >-3- I would add a "replace all in current scope" function that I dream
> > >of for years already ;-) where 'scope' means closest nesting func,
> > >class, or whatever.
> >
> > Hmm, not sure. Could be done but adds yet another button, yet another
> > thing you need to sort out when you do a quick search/replace.
> > (this is not a 'no', just a 'I won't work on it')
[...]
> "In Scope"
> sounds interesting, but I think it would be too complicated practically to
> be added alongside the other find/replace modes. My misgivings:
>
> 1. Would it work reliably/predictably, even in cases of complex C++ code
>    and the like?
>
> 2. What, exactly, does "scope" mean? Body of the current function/method?
>    (Would it include the signature line, so you can find/replace the formal
>    parameters too?)

Yes, I meant that. Precisely, as a formal parameter (name) is a local variable (name), I find practicle to be able to "replace all" in the scope of the name life. Namely (sic!) a namespace is imo the proper scope of a "replace all" feature in many cases, if not most. So that when writing "in scope" I rather meant "in the extent of the current code section that defines a namespace".
 What about just the current curly-brace block, which
>    would also have a claim to the term "scope?" Or the current class? Would
>    there be a preference to decide between these, or would it be something
>    set by the language syntax driver?

The note above basically excludes lower level code blocks such as loops or ifs.
Anyway, this seems mostly useful for funcs/methods and it would apply on a whole class only when one points at a line at class top-level.
An alternative may be to define this at per-language level inside language specific config files, so that there would be both a geany default and possible user preference.

> --Daniel

------
la vida e estranya