[Geany] "Replace All" button order

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sat Jan 17 12:02:58 UTC 2009

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 12:58:10 -0500, "Daniel Richard G."
<skunk at iSKUNK.ORG> wrote:

>On Fri, 2009 Jan 16 17:04:36 +0000, Nick Treleaven wrote:
>>
>> I did it like that because the Gnome HIG says the most commonly-used
>> button should be on the right, and I assumed it was the document
>> button. Then it seemed logical to put the session button near the
>> document button.
>
>But don't forget, the buttons appear only after you click the "Replace
>All" arrow, at the left edge of the dialog. Consider the distance that
>you need to move the mouse afterward to reach each button---shouldn't
>the more common case(s) require a shorter distance?
>
>I see where you're coming from on the Gnome HIG, and that is a
>reasonable approach. But the "Replace All" arrow confounds the logic
>of that, IMO. If the most commonly used button is to be on the right,
>then I would suggest removing the arrow, and keeping that section of
>the dialog always visible, so that there is no need for the pointer to

Wow, taking the other (rather quick appearing) replies in the thread
into account, it seems this expander (technical term for the arrow as
it expands a hidden area) is pretty unpopular.
IIRC the intention in adding it was to not fear the user with a too
complicated and too heavy loaded dialog, so hide by default less
commonly options with the expander. But I'm not completely sure if it
was this way, it's a long time ago :).

>> Anyway, the selection button can also be used often, so we could
>> change the order to:
>>
>> [Session] [Document] [Selection]
>>
>> This also makes sense in making the function with the biggest impact
>> away from the commonly used position.
>
>Aye, as well as having them in a sorted order. And for my part,

Yup, sounds fine to me.