[Geany] RFC: Bumping minimum GTK requirement to GTK 2.8

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sat Jan 17 09:35:48 UTC 2009

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 10:20:02 +0100, Filip Gruszczyński
<gruszczy at gmail.com> wrote:

>Great :) I can't wait to see new functionality provided by 2.8 :)

I'm afraid you won't see new features directly because of this
change. At least the step between GTK 2.6 and GTK 2.8 is basically just
to clean up some code and remove some #ifdef's for conditional
compilation depending on the GTK version.

Anyway, when we reach a bigger step there could be actually be new
features and more code cleanups.
E.g. when we step to GTK 2.10 we could use the GTK-based recent files
implementation (though this doesn't change much for the user, it would
be great for the sources as we could remove a lot of code, the user
would had the benefit from having a recent files list shared with
other GTK apps).

When starting dreaming, we could even require GTK 2.12 which then
brings us something called "GtkUIBuilder" which allows more dynamic and
flexible creation of the user interface which would ease development
and possible make new features possible. We could also actually work
towards compatibility with the upcoming GTK 3.0.
And there are probably other cool things I don't think of right now.
But well, until we can require GTK 2.12, we probably still have to wait
a long time...and it's not the biggest problem at all.