[Geany] "Replace All" button order

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Fri Jan 16 17:04:36 UTC 2009

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 18:50:36 +0100
Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:

> >	[In Selection]  [In Session]  [In Document]
> >
> >"Selection" and "Document" are self-explanatory; "Session" replaces
> >text in all currently-open files.
> >
> >Why are the buttons in this order? Intuitively, I would expect them to
> >be ordered in terms of increasing scope: selection, document, session.
> >I don't see why the current order would be preferable---I've never
> >even used the "In Session" button in actual work.

I did it like that because the Gnome HIG says the most commonly-used
button should be on the right, and I assumed it was the document
button. Then it seemed logical to put the session button near the
document button.

Anyway, the selection button can also be used often, so we could change
the order to:

[Session] [Document] [Selection]

This also makes sense in making the function with the biggest impact
away from the commonly used position.

> Good catch.
> I agree it should be in the order selection, document and then session.
> I don't remember when these buttons were added. In case I did so, I
> probably just didn' think about and just added them.
> In case of it was Nick, maybe he had a reason.

Regards,
Nick