[Geany] Using Snippets

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Jan 11 21:13:57 UTC 2009

On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 00:59:47 +0100, Thomas Martitz
<thomas.martitz at fhtw-berlin.de> wrote:

Hey,

finally, the latest version of the patch, snippet-v3b.diff, landed in
SVN. I did some minor modifications to use more GLib API and avoid
using C99-only code.

Thanks a lot Thomas!

>> Then use the snippet: class<TAB>
>> and type "abcd" on the first cursor position, move the cursor back by
>> two positions and press the "Move cursor in snippet" keybinding to
>> jump to the next cursor position. The cursor is then inside
>> "__construct" instead of inside the braces.
>> Maybe we can live with that but it'd be better if it would be fixed
>> though this might be not easy.
>Fixed.

Hrm, it still seems to happen :(.

>Thomas Martitz schrieb:
>> However, the current patch is far from intelligent and nice. It's a
>> bit hackish (limited to 10 cursors, global struct in editor.c ...),
>> and the next cursor movement is apparently broken once you hit tab
>> normally between "jumps". To be investigated! Also, I changed the
>> hotkey of "go to last used tab" to nothing, so that ctrl+tab is free
>> for this (this is the best hotkey I can find for), feel free to
>> discuss!
>Fixed, sort of. Limit is gone (it's now using a dynamically allocated
>single linked list). pressing tab between jumps should work now.
>Nesting (i.e. recursively inserting) snippets works too, so that the
>cursor positions of the old snippets are not destroyed if you insert
>another snippet.
>I used my self-made single linked list implementation, since I had
>problems with GSList (with concating 2 lists and freeing in
>particular). My implementation does exactly what we need, and is yet
>extensible and reusable.

Maybe we can switch to GLib's GSList or GQueue implementation to save
some duplicate code but OTOH, as I said on IRC, the amount of code in
your implementation isn't that much and so it's fine, for now.

>> Yea, I thought so too (and I knew it was controversial) , but then
>> again I couldn't find a better hotkey. Super is problematic I think
>> because that's the Windows key on most keyboards (IIUC), and that's
>> actually used by Windows and not really available for apps when
>> running Geany on Windows. Maybe it's possible though.
>Default hotkey issue is still open (if there even should be one).

I guess for now it's sufficient to leave it undefined.